Monday, March 21, 2011

Determining the right trailer for you

The first thing you need to determine is how many people it needs to sleep. Then think about where you'll be taking it and what you'll be using it primarily for. Make a list of the amenities you want. This will determine the type of trailer that best suits your needs. Lastly, how much weight can your vehicle tow? This last factor will likely play the biggest factor after budget.

Below is my list and how I came to the conclusion that a tow able trailer was right for me.

Budget: $5,000
Occupancy: 4
Purpose: Mostly Campgrounds, Day trip to the beach, Guest Cottage
List of Amenities: Min. 2 sleeping areas, ideally 3, Storage, Food prep/counter area (stove top optional = I can always use a portable camping stove or BBQ), dining area/card playing area, height clearance of at least 5' 10" (technically, my husband is 6' 1" but I was betting he would tolerate bending over a little over short periods of time)

But Robyn, how can a self professed City Girl not have bathroom on top of the list? While it is true that at home, I have my own bathroom (I refuse to share with the husband. BTW, he has the Master bathroom. It was a trade off for occupying 90% of the closet) But back to the trailer.....I decided against it because 1) Cost 2) Maintenance 3)Space 4) Do you really want to drive around with shit splashing around in close quarters?

1) Cost ; For a fully running toilet (not just a port O potty type) cost can rise quickly

2) Maintenance ; I wasn't thrilled about having to dispose of the grey water. I also wanted to avoid camping spots with Full Hook Ups (vs. just water and electricity) because they are more congested and noisy with humming generators and 30' + campers.

3) For storage and towing purposes, I wanted to keep the trailer under 19'. This meant cutting out all non essentials.

4) I start to gag just thinking about port o potties or toilets on airplanes. I could not imagine sleeping or eating within a few feet of one. Thus, no bathroom until I could afford a nice one that flushed!

5) Most established campgrounds have running toilets and showers. PS, if are concerned about toddlers, bring along a training potty for emergencies. Also, most campgrounds will honor your request for a spot close to the facilities if you have children.

Types of trailers and the pros and cons

Teardrop
These are cute little trailers that are tear-shaped (hence, the name!) designed to be aerodynamic. They consist of a sleeping compartment and a rear hutch that opens up to a galley. Many lines available, the two that impressed me most were Camp-Inn (Aluminium) and Little Guy (Fiberglass). **A reminder that I do not accept payment for mentioning brand names. All mentions come from my personal research and/or experience.
Pro: Light weight (can be towed with 4 cylinder car), Low cost, even for a new unit (starting at $3500)
Con: No indoor lounging area (the Camp Inn 560 Ultra model does have a small reading area; emphasis on SMALL), most are built for 2 average sized adults - with my family of 4, it just wouldn't work. PS, even if you are a party of 2, still think about how important INDOOR dining, lounging space is to you. Teardrops are strictly for sleeping only, you will not be able to stand up in one.

Pop Up Trailers
These are also compact and easy to tow. They literally Pop Up when you get to your destination and kind of unfold to a combo soft/hard sided deluxe tent. Usually includes a full kitchen.
Pros: Most have 2-3 separate sleeping areas. Light and easy to tow and store, cheaper than traditional trailers, sleeps more # of people than traditional trailers, even though when folded, they are smaller.
Cons: Not hard sided....I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving it unattended for long periods of time, not ideal for guest cottage, I worried about hot/cold due to soft sides (this may not be a real problem, I must admit, I've never actually been in one)

Motorhome
These do not require a separate vehicle to tow.
Pros: These are usually decked out with bells and whistles. You will definitely travel like a rock star.

Cons: Probably the most expensive of the various types. Because it is all one unit, it can be tough to maneuver for newbies. You can't unhitch and take your vehicle and explore surrounding area. if your engine blows, your trailer is essentially home bound.

Tow able trailer
Taking into consideration all the factors (cost, amenities, maintenance, storage) I felt I could get the best bang the buck with a hard sided, tow able hitch.. I like that you can un-hitch and drive your vehicle into town for dinner or exploring. I also like that since an engine is not involved, I only have maintain the trailer. This is the main reason I don't buy TV/VCR combos. I like to keep major moving parts separate!

No comments:

Post a Comment