Thursday, May 26, 2011

Birthday Goals



Medal and Bib from 5K run

Last year, I decided to choose one thing I hate or was intimidated by and try to master it by my birthday in August. Well, maybe not so much master, but rather, set a modest goal and reach it. Last year it was running. Anyone who knows me know that I DO NOT like to run (except to a shoe sale at Neiman Marcus...and even then, it's a brisk skip). As a motivation, I registered for a 5K run benefiting Special Olympics and solicited sponsorship from friends and family. The last mile just about killed me but I did complete it.


I was struggling with what goal to set for myself this year, but then I randomly came across a local company that restored vintage trailers. The wheels in my head started to spin. I knew that it would be a matter of time before another repair would be needed on La Palace. After all, I've already spent ~$700 in resealing the seams and repairing the holes left from my awning mishap. If I didn't want to deplete my savings, I had better start acquiring some skills!

So.....how does one go about convincing a company to hire an unskilled and inexperience laborer? (Read the About Me page to better appreciate this) Lots of begging. I think the owner finally decided it was easier to give me an internship than face my harassment.











No comments:

Post a Comment